Closures and Cancellations Announced
Jackson County agencies as well as the Edna, Industrial and Ganado school districts have closed due to concerns on the possible spread of Coronavirus. Last week, Jackson County issued a Local State of Disaster declaration, and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued executive orders, curtailing public gatherings and closing all dine-in eating establishments and bars across the state.
Gov. Abbott’s proclamation stated that “people shall avoid eating or drinking at bars, restaurants, and food courts, or visiting gyms or massage parlors; provided, however, that the use of drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options is allowed and highly encouraged throughout the limited duration of this executive order.”
Prior to the executive order, several restaurants in the county that provide take-out service, such as McDonalds and Whataburger, had already begun to restrict dining inside the restaurants to minimize exposure to the coronavirus. More traditional restaurants which feature only in-house dining are now scrambling to adapt to the new ban.
In other executive orders, Gov. Abbott declared that every person in Texas shall avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people, and he closed nursing and retirement homes to the public. The order stated that no one can visit a nursing or retirement home or long-term care facility unless to provide critical assistance.
All of the governor’s executive orders went into effective across the state on March 20, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. and are slated to end on April 3, 2020 at 11:59 p.m., however, they are subject to extension afterwards.
Below are the currently known cancellations, closures and service changes for Jackson County.
• Master Gardeners Plant Sale
• Church of Christ/Robison meetings;
• Texas STAAR testing for school year;
• St. Agnes Catholic Church services until further notice;
• Red, White & Bulls at Brackenridge Recreation Complex;
• Kevin Fowler concert at Brackenridge Recreation Complex;
• Spring Break activities at Brackenridge Recreation Complex.
• Edna ISD schools closed until April 3;
• Industrial ISD schools closed until April 3;
• Ganado ISD schools closed indefinitely;
• District Court schedule suspended through the end of March;
• County Court schedule suspended through April.
• Texas UIL-Sanctioned events;
• Edna Chalk It Up event;
• Edna Flag City Community Market;
• Ganado Knights of Columbus Fish Fry;
• Chamber of Commerce Wine Tour;
• Edna Education Foundation Dueling Pianos Fundraiser.
• Jackson County Hospital - Cafeteria closed to public;
• The front entrance to the Jackson County Hospital is closed. Visitors should enter through the ER lobby door;
• Jackson County Wellness Center closed to public;
• Medical Clinic - Public must be screened for COVID-19 prior to entry;
• Jackson County Chamber of Commerce office closed until March 30;
• Jackson County offices and facilities closed to the public. Call for appointment;
• Jackson County Farm Bureau office is closed to the public;
• Brackenridge RecreationComplex office and nature center are closed to face-to-face contact with public;
• HEB hours now 8 a.m.-8 p.m.