Around the County
The Edna Lions Club is looking for gently used athletic equipment, like softballs, bats, gloves, volleyballs, tennis rackets, etc. They are donating them to the Texas Lions Camp gym department, where Ganado’s Sarah Novak will be working again this summer.
Southbrooke Manor’s Community Bingo is cancelled until further notice.
A BBQ benefit for Bobby Cruz to help with medical expenses will be on Saturday, April 7, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the First United Methodist Fellowship Hall on 206 Allen Street. Tickets are $8 for plates of barbecue chicken, rice and beans. For tickets or donations, call 979-224-5399.
Prosperity Baptist Church, 130 Oberg St., Ganado, will hold a fried chicken wing fundraiser on Saturday, April 7 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for $10 per plate.
The Edna Education Foundation will hold Dinner, Drinks & Dueling Pianos at 6 p.m. on Saturday, April 7 at the old KC Hall, 924 FM 822, Edna. Tickets are $75 and available at All About Flowers in Edna or from any board member.
Ganado One Act Play advanced to the regional level of competition on March 28. They will compete at Veteran’s Memorial High School on Friday, April 13. The troupe will give a public performance on Sunday, April 8 at 7 p.m. at the Ganado ISD auditorium.
The Robison Street Church of Christ will hold a series of special lessons from God's word beginning Sunday, April 8, at 9:30, 10:30 a.m., and 6 p.m. The lessons will continue Monday, April 9, through Friday, April 13 at 7 p.m. Jerry King will be the guest speaker. Call 361-782-5506 or 361-782-2844 for more information.
Our Around the County section was accidentally left out of this week's paper. Here's what's going on for the remainder of April...
- The Jackson County Transfer Station will be closed Monday through Wednesday, April 9-11, for training.
- The Townhall Players will present “The Dinner Detective” on Saturday, April 14, at the Assumption Parish Hall, 408 W. Putnam, Ganado. Tickets are $65 each and include dinner and the performance. Tickets are available at the Herald-Tribune office or Ganado City Hall.
- A fundraiser to defray medical expenses for Dwayne Taylor will be held Sunday, April 15 at the Assumption Catholic Church in Ganado parish hall. A pork steak dinner with all the trimmings, dine in or to go, will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tickets for a gift card raffle are $25 each and available at the Edna Fire Dept., Ganado City Hall, Citizens State Bank, Ganado or the Sweetheart Boutique. There will be a live auction near the end of the event.
- The Industrial FFA Rabies Drive will be held by Lakeway Veterinary Clinic from 4-6 p.m., Tuesday, April 17 at the old Lolita Fire Hall, Wednesday, April 18 from 4-6 p.m. at the Industrial High School Ag Building and Thursday, April 19 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Inez Community Center.
- The City of Edna will flush all water lines on Wednesday, April 18 beginning at 10 p.m. and ending at 2 a.m. on Thursday, April 19.
- Raybon’s 2nd Annual Veterans Crawfish Boil will be held Saturday, April 21 from 2 to 7 p.m. at Lake Texana Park.
- The Jackson County 4-H County Council will be hosting a dance for grades 6th through 12th on Friday, April 27, at the JC Services Building. The dance is from 7-11 p.m. and the cost is $5 at the door. Snacks will be available for purchase; all proceeds go to a scholarship fund. For questions, contact the Courtney Mercer at 782-3312.
- The Ganado VFD Crawfish Festival is Saturday, April 28. Crawfish will be served from 2 p.m. until supplies last. Presale tickets are $25 each, $35 the day of the event. The Mud Bug Pageant is 4 p.m., Sunday, April 22 at the Ganado Cafeteria. For more information go to www.ganadofire.com.
- First United Methodist Church, 200 Twin Oaks Blvd, Ganado, will hold its first Under the Trees Bazaar from 8 a.. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 28. For more information call the church at 771-3750 or 781-2719.